If you are eating too much, or if you have given up on an exercise program, you probably aren’t too surprised when a couple of pounds sneak up on you. On the other hand, if you are eating healthy and are still exercising and you are still gaining weight then it is a good idea to pay attention to discover what else might be happening.
What follows are five reasons that you may still be gaining weight despite your best efforts to lose:
- Not Sleeping Enough Not getting enough sleep can impact your weight in two different ways. First, if you are awake for longer periods, the chances that you are eating more is very high. Second, some hormones that impact appetite are confused when you don’t sleep enough with the result of making you hungrier in the morning, and not feeling as satisfied after a meal.
- Stress when you are stressed by what is going on in your life your “fight or flight” instinct is on all the time and the body is in continual survival mode. High levels of Cortisol, the so-called “stress hormone” are secreted which increases your appetite.
- Anti-Depressant Drugs As many as 25% of people who take prescription drugs for depression long term experience weight gain. If you think you fall into this 25%, have a conversation with your doctor to see if you can switch to another drug.
- Steroid Medications Steriod medications like prednisone are well known to be responsible for gaining weight. Mostly, the weight gained is fluid retention and an increase in appetite. How much weight you gain is directly related to the strength of the dosage and how long you take it.
- Hypothyroidism If the thyroid gland isn’t producing enough of the two thyroid hormones responsible for regulating metabolism it can lead to you gaining weight. Other symptoms include being tired, cold, and muscle cramping. Even thyroid glands operating at the lower end of the “normal” scale can produce some of these symptoms. If you suspect your thyroid might be a problem, it can be controlled with certain prescription medications.
Eating a healthy diet is key to overall good health and fruits and vegetables should be a integral part of your meal plan. Visit Best Fruit Smoothies for hundreds of free fruit and vegetable smoothie recipes that make adding fruit and vegetable both easy and satisfying.