Here is a healthy banana smoothie recipe to start the day. It almost guarantees no mid-morning slump.
Like everything in life bananas are a mix of good and not so good.
On the plus side:
- Bananas are very low in saturated fats, sodium, and cholesterol.
- Bananas are a great way to get dietary fiber, Vitamins C and B6, Potassium, and Manganese
Not so good:
- Many of the calories in a banana come from sugars
Some avoid banana completely because of the sugars but I think that this is a case of the good outweighing the bad. While I wouldn’t want to build a meal plan around bananas, I see nothing harmful in enjoying them in a healthy banana smoothie recipe or any other smoothie recipe for that matter.
In your favorite blender mix:
- 1 Banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup milk (your choice, skim, low fat, 2%, etc.)
- 1/2 cup Greek vanilla Yogurt (fat-free if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp. Peanut Butter, creamy not chunky
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (cut this back if you are not much of a vanilla fan; as little as 1/4 tsp. works)
- 1 tbsp. Chia Seed
To prepare, put everything into the blender at the same time and blend until smooth. If the mix is too thick it can be easily thinned with a bit more milk or a couple of ice cubes.