There must be, literally, tens of thousands of recipes for smoothies. Most of them are really healthy and can be easily incorporated into any reasonable daily meal plan. Others, of course, are sinful taste treats that throw caution to the wind. This smoothie mix belongs in the healthy breakfast category. An easy mix of oatmeal and fresh or frozen berries is a satisfying start to the day.
Its also easy to turn this satisfying smoothie treat into a nutrition powerhouse just by adding a tablespoon of Chia seed. Chia is a natural seed that adds a large measure of nutrition including heart healthy, cholesterol fighting omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Even better, unlike Flax, Chia doesn’t have a noticeable taste of its own so adding it here won’t change the delicious results.
In your favorite blender mix:
- 1 cup instant oatmeal, microwaved in water
- 1 cup milk (soy, 2%, Low Fat, your choice)
- 1 cup Frozen mixed Berries
- 2 tsp whey powder
- Ice to taste
Oatmeal, also known as “white oats”, has been around for quite a while but now it is gaining favor because of its health benefits. Some of these benefits are:
- Nutritional research now on going suggests that Oatmeal may well help reduce the risk of type 2 diatebes
- If you purchase non flavored Oatmeal, the product is completely natural
- Other information shows that Oatmeal can reduce blood pressure because of the dietary fiber in the oats
- This same dietary fiber will also reduce cholesterol and cardiovascular disease
In the U.S. The Quaker company produces most of the Oatmeal found in grocery stores, but smaller producers exist and provide quality oatmeal products as well.
The Whey powder used here is a concentrated source of protein. Whey is what remains after whole milk coagulates. Whey also contains quite a lot of lactose and should not be used by anyone who is lactose intolerant.
Taken together the Oatmeal, Whey, and mixed berries provide a great start to any day and a lot of nutrition as well.
Recipes For Smoothies