Smoothies In a Heart Healthy Diet
How is your Cholesterol
So you have visited your doctor and he has dropped the bomb that your cholesterol is much too high and, unless treated, you are running the risk of developing one type of cardiovascular disease or another. Naturally, you are anxious because of what this means for your lifestyle and your health. Are you going to have to change your diet? Does this mean more exercise and less fun? One this is certain: this means you aren’t as young as you used to be!
But don’t be too depressed. The fact that you went to your doctor and that he identified the problem before it had a chance to develop into something more serious is a huge step. You’ll probably be able to keep your lifestyle pretty much the way it is with only a few adjustments. Doubtless these adjustments will take some will power on your part but given the alternative of possible heart disease and/or stroke, aren’t these changes worth it? Here are some helpful tips on how you can be an active participant and keep you cholesterol readings under control.
Heart Healthy Diet Tips
- Avoid foods with saturated fats and cholesterol. Both will raise the levels of “bad” cholesterol (LDL)
- Watch portion size. Too many eat giant meals with twice the amount of food our body needs. This contributes to both cholesterol and to weight gain. Practice eating portions that can approximately fit into the palms of your hand.
- Fill your plate with veggies and fruit instead of pasta or red meat. Health experts recommend five to nine servings daily. Not to worry about that, enjoying fruit and/or veggie smoothie recipes will help you easily reach that goal.
- Add fish to the fruit and veggies on the plate. It’s recommended that fish be on your menu at least twice a week to take advantage of the omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 is very helpful in lowering LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Add whole grains to your daily meal plans. Whole grains have more fiber and complex carbohydrates both of which are great for your heart. An added bonus is they will also keep you feeling fuller for a longer time.
Food choice are almost endless
All these foods, and many more, can be prepared in delicious and tempting ways and be healthy at the same time. So, if you do have cholesterol that is higher than it should be and you must take steps to bring it under control don’t despair. There are more than enough food choices to keep you happy, content, and much healthier.