If you have poked around our site at all you know I try and provide a little something more than just the recipe and this post is no exception.
For this tidbit, I turned to Wikipedia for the low down on the word “breakfast” itself. This is what I found:
“The word literally refers to breaking the fasting period of the prior night. It has its origin in the Christian custom of fasting from food between the supper meal of one day and receiving Holy Communion the following morning (such a Eucharistic fast is still observed by Orthodox Christians, but is shortened to one hour before Mass for Roman Catholics). Foregoing the natural craving to eat was seen as an act of self-denial that honors God, while strengthening the religious resolve and faith of the believer.”
The whole article can be found here.
Now, on to the Strawberry Breakfast Smoothie recipe:
- 2 cups strawberries (fresh if possible, but frozen will work too)
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and sliced (NOTE: Peel and slice the banana BEFORE FREEZING)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh if possible)
- 2 Tbs. Chia seed (or flax)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Ice to taste( if you aren’t using frozen berries or banana, you will probably need more)
All ingredients go into the blender and blend on a higher speed until smooth.
This makes two full servings so cut in half if it’s just you!
The original recipe came from The Lemon Bowl.com and was recommended to us by a friend
Strawberry Breakfast Smoothie