Vanilla Banana Almond Smoothie
You might think that vanilla is boring, bland, and really not worth your time to add to your meal plan. And you would be wrong! For just one example, in the wide world of ice cream, vanilla flavors far outsell any other and that has been true for years.
So, here are a few more facts about vanilla:
- the flavor comes from an orchid native to Mexico
- The word itself comes from Spanish and meand “little pod”
- Vanilla was introduces to Europe by the Spanish explorer Cortes in the early 1500s
- It is delicious!
All this is a prelude to a Vanilla Banana Almond Smoothie recipe that makes use of the wonderful vanilla bean and mixes it with both bananas and Almonds for a special treat.
In your favorite blender mix:
- – 2 cups Low fat or fat free milk
– 1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
– 10 crushed almonds
– splash of vanilla extract
– 2 frozen bananas, peeled and sliced (TIP: Peel and slice BEFORE FREEZING!)
– 1 cup ice cubes (feel free to add or subtract as necessary)
– fresh mint leaves for garnish (if desired)
Put everything but the mint leaves in your mixer and blend until smooth. For an added touch of panache, serve with a garnish of fresh mint leaves.
Make your vanilla banana almond smoothie a healthy addition to your day by adding a tbsp. of Chia seed to your mix. Chia won’t change either the flavor or the consistency of your smoothie and will add a great deal of nutritional value.