Before getting to this vanilla yogurt smoothie recipe, now is as good a time as any to revisit why the USDA recommends that we all eat more fruits and vegetables in our diets. In chapter four of “Dietary Guidelines” three reasons are listed:
- Fruits and Vegetables are a good source for many of the nutrients we don’t get enough of like potassium, dietary fiber, and certain vitamins
- Consuming more fruits and vegetables can reduce the risk of certain diseases including cardiovascular disease and some types of cancer
- Both fruits and vegetables are low in calories so eating them instead of high calorie food will help maintain a healthy weight
You can find the dietary guideline here. It is a worth your time to read.
And, to get those additional fruits and vegetables what could be better than a smoothie? This is a mixed fruit smoothie recipe that just overflows with fruit.
Its also easy to turn this yummy vanilla yogurt smoothie treat into a nutrition powerhouse just by adding a tablespoon of Chia seed. Chia is a natural seed that adds a large measure of nutrition including heart healthy, cholesterol fighting omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Even better, unlike Flax, Chia doesn’t have a noticeable taste of its own so adding it here won’t change the delicious results.
In your favorite blender mix:
- 1 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sliced peaches, fresh or frozen
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups Vanilla yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. Chia seed
- 1 cup milk