Do you know how popular tomatoes are? The bean counters at the USDA say that the average American consumes between 22 and 24 pound of tomatoes per year. About of that comes from ketchup and tomato sauce, but some is in vegetable smoothie recipes. Here are a few more factoids about tomatoes from Tomatodirt.com.
And, yes we know that the tomato is technically a fruit!
- 93% American gardening households grow tomatoes.
- Fresh-market tomatoes are grown in all 50 states.
- The largest worldwide producer of tomatoes is China, followed by USA, Turkey, India and Egypt.
- California produces 96% of the tomatoes processed in the U.S.
- Florida is the number one producer of fresh market tomatoes (except in 2008).
- The largest tomato on record weighed 7 pounds, 12 ounces and was grown in Oklahoma in 1986
- The largest tomato plant stretched 65 feet and was grown in Lancashire, U.K.
- The Tomato is both the state Vegetable and the state Fruit of Arkansas
- Tomato juice is the official state beverage of Ohio
- 19 states hold at least on tomato tasting festival each year
After all that info on tomatoes, here is a very tasty vegetable smoothie Smoothie recipe that adds in apple juice and some mixed veggies for a great taste. This recipe is a great afternoon snack.
This vegetable smoothie recipe is also a great way to get your daily shot of iron.
In your favorite
– 2 cups tomatoes
-1.2 cup tomato juice
– 1/4 cup apple juice
– 1/2 cup carrots
– 1/4 cup celery
– 2 cups of ice
– 1 Tbsp. Chia seed (optional)
Take care to chop the tomatoes, carrots and celery as fine as you can for a smoother consistency, add everything to your smoothie blender and blend until smooth.