Limes come from a variety of plants including both hybrid and citruses. They can be cultivated year round and are sweeter than the lemon. Limes are packed with vitamin C and have some dietary fiber as well. Limes also mix very well with other fruit flavors in a wide variety of smoothies. As proof, here is a strawberry smoothie that adds line and oranges as well to provide a real treat.
Optionally, add in a tablespoon of Chia seed as well. Chia brings a great deal of additional nutrition to your strawberry smoothie including heart healthy, cholesterol fighting omega-3 fatty acids. And Chia has no real taste of its own so adding it to the recipe won’t change the delicious results.
In your favorite blender mix:
– 2 oranges, peeled and cut in chunks
– 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
– 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries
– 1 cup of fresh or frozen banana chunks (freeze your banana the night before and be sure to peel and cut it before freezing)
– 1 Tbsp. Chia seed (optional)